Thursday, January 22, 2009

Free Poker Bankroll... wtf!?

Last night I was browsing through some poker related Facebook groups and I came across this link http://www.pokerprofessor.com/referral/777862d1 for a free poker bankroll and decided to check it out. I've seen these ads before and have always been a little bit skeptical. I've had my own healthy poker bankroll for the last couple of years so I personally haven't had a need for this, but this time I thought I'd check it out as a service to my readers to see if this is legit and if so, what's the catch?


Well I followed the link and it turns out it is legit! The process is rather lengthy but what can you really expect for free money? The pokerprofessor site requires you to first create an account at TitanPoker and use the bonus code they provide you. Then you need to create an account at pokerprofessor.com and provide them your account number/user ID at Titanpoker.


Next, you have to read through some basic study material on limit and no limit hold'em. After studying the material, you take a 20 question multiple choice test. You only need to get 14 questions correct, and I got perfect. It the questions were really easy a complete beginner should have no problem passing it so long as he/she reads the material first.


After the test I was told I would receive a phone call within 72 hours. I actually received the call this morning! That was pretty fast. The pokerprofessor rep just needed to verify my info that I gave them in the form and a couple of hours later my TitanPoker account had $50 in it.


There's more. To receive the next $50 installment of this bonus I must earn 1500 Titan points and complete the second test. I haven't got around to this part yet. I played some .01/.02 NL Hold'em for awhile just to try out the software. I actually lost a couple of bucks running AQ into KK on a AKQ flop. I played 7 tables at once for almost an hour and earned 7 titan points. Clearing this bonus obviously requires a substantial amount of grinding at the low limits but it's gotta be better than playing the play money tables and freerolls.


It seems that the level of play at these limits was a lot better compared to the .01/.02 tables at pokerstars. I suspect that this is due to a large amount of people grinding these no deposit bonuses and coming in to the games with some clue and desire to learn to play winning poker.


I'm really not liking the titanpoker software and have no plans of trying to clear this bonus myself but for anybody just starting out this looks like a great way to get started without putting up your own money.


Ok so you might be asking how it all works. How does pokerprofessor.com give people free money? It's pretty simple actually. They are part of an affilliate program that offers them incentive to recruit new players to the site. The rake generated by their referals translates into commissions for them. By ensuring that their referals are educated players they increase the likelihood that the player will generate enough commisions for them before going broke at the least. I would imagine that a lot of these players will actually become long term winners if they excercise good bankroll management.


One good thing that I do like about Titanpoker is that they have heads up cash games for all limits, something that most other rooms do not provide. I think I may work on my heads up game with this free money at the .01/.02 when I'm board of 18 tabling .25/.50 full ring at PokerStars.


If you decide to try this out please post your feedback and progress here, and good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment